Monday, January 19, 2009

funny how things work

As I mentioned in my last post, I've been a little stressed recently. I'm definitely ready for finals to be over (well, first to start and then to end). I'm very much looking forward to being back in the United States, however briefly. I have also noticed a pattern recently. Overall, I'm quite happy here. I learn, I sleep, I eat poorly. I try to swim/exercise a little. Attempt to do homework periodically. Walk up and down hills. Do laundry. Communicate with USA. Repeat. When I discuss this, I often sound a little bitter. My soul is yearning for more, for something else. Periodically I find reminders of some of those yearnings--for example, enjoying the company of little ones at Shabbat meals--a reminder that this world is not made up entirely of rabbinical students and their teachers--or on the other side, volunteering at a nursing side and speaking with people of another generation or three. Tonight, I dragged myself to a class taught at http://www.shlomoyeshiva.org It was absolutely beautiful. Studying the parsha through the eyes of a Hasidic commentary, feeling no pressure to cover material, but merely to learn, to discuss, to hear insights from the teacher and each other. Would I want to do this all the time? I don't know. Do I want to integrate more study such as this into my life--absolutely yes!

1 comment:

Samuel said...

You know America is bigger than Israel. We have more people from all different ages to choose from... :-)

Love you brother. Keep learning.

How's your Hebrew coming?